Sunday 7 December 2008

Keeping the markets alive



Today I visited Riverside market in Cardiff which offers great local produce from organic meat and veg to yummy cakes and bread. Farmers markets are a brilliant way to get the freshest veg at a reasonable price as well as helping the local economy. At the start of this economic downturn, it is really important for us to help local businesses stay alive. Unfortunately as many of us turn our backs on organic for the cheaper options of Aldi or Lidl, farmers markets are beginning to feel the pinch. In my opinion it is always important to make sure your feeding yourselves and family well rather than opting for the cheaper option of pesticide riddled food which is usually transported hundreds of miles.


We may see a change in shopping habits during the recession which will return to the days of quality and not quantity. Hopefully this will help organic farming. In terms of clothing I think this will certainly be the case. Shopping habits are slowly changing as people are more inclined to buy a few key wardrobe items that will last. I wonder whether people will start to realise this in terms of food production too.


Inspired by my visit, I popped into Shared Earth for a spot of Christmas shopping. It has a great range of gift items from jewellery to wooden crafts. What's more you can be safe in the knowledge that the gifts were made in the best conditions and those who made them were paid fairly for there work. I also spotted Kate Lock's book 'Confessions of an eco-shopper' which I hope will help me in my quest to become a more eaware in my shopping habits.



No comments: